Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I got to interview Christian Doyle, JourneyQuest's Perf!


GMK
Thanks Christian. Just got our signed JourneyQuest DVD in the mail yesterday! My wife and I are huge fans of all of you guys.

Christian Doyle
Thanks for being fans. And keep watching, season two is gonna be awesome!

GMK
Oh man, we can't wait.

Christian Doyle
We have a new cast member next season who is a bonafide Whedon alum.

GMK
Um...sorry, I thought you were alluding to Scott just then.
Who is the Whedon alum?

Christian Doyle
Fran Kranz (Topher from Dollhouse) I don't count Scott because he's always around. He's my best friend after all.

GMK
You guys might have the best job in the world.

Christian Doyle
Might? I get to be a wizard! I get to sword fight and kiss pretty girls and that's my job. Pay or no pay that IS the best job in the world.

GMK
You know...it just dawned on me that in Dorkness Rising AND JourneyQuest, you played an arcane caster. Any in-game preferences to do with that?

Christian Doyle
Nope. I don't play characters that use magic. Ever. Fighters and rogues for me.

GMK
Oh yeah? That's actually sort of funny in a way I can't exactly put my finger on.

Christian Doyle
It goes back to my obsession with swords.

GMK
How are we defining "obsession" here?

Christian Doyle
When i was a kid (3years old) I got cut by a very sharp knife. So I became afraid of sharp things. When I was 8 My step dad gave me a pocket knife and told me it was time to get over it. So I did in a very big way. I have gone out of my way to learn everything that i can about very sharp things. how they're made, how to use them properly. fencing, escrima, Chinese sword, broadsword, and lots of stage combat. That's how I get over my fears. I think of my Dad telling me to suck it up and stop being a Nance, Then I jump in head first no matter how shallow the water is.
and thta was the short answer

GMK
That's awesome! I was going to ask if you'd had the chance to train with the Seattle Knights at all, but it sounds like you might be able to show them a thing or two. Have your parents seen all of the stuff you've acted in?

Christian Doyle
The seattle knights are a HUGE part of JourneyQuest and I look forward very much to working with them more in the future. They have a really defined style and system of stage combat that I'm very eager to learn.
My Mom and late Stepfather watch everything they can. But I'm in so many shows every year that they can't keep up.
also my stepfather hasn't seen anything I've done since he died. But I'll forgive him
I mean, it's not like he's just being lazy...

GMK
That's very decent of you! You've been in a lot of stuff, and in the JourneyQuest extras, you and Brian mention doing some Shakespeare, showing that you have a broad range of acting interests. Two questions come to mind from that;
1) If you could have any role ever, even something that you could create from the ground up, what would it be?
and 2) William Shakespeare or R.L.McSterlingthong?

Christian Doyle
1.) hands down: Sherlock Holmes...oh...and Hamlet.
2.) Shakespeare (but it's fair to say that it's only because R.L. gave him his inspiration....according to him)

GMK
And so once again the student surpasses the master. Both of the aforementioned bards are world-renowned for their ability to craft tales of woe, casting a stark light on matters of the heart, good and evil, and the way the line in between can sometimes blur. I was hoping you could help straighten me out on something to do with that topic.
Glorian; Pure evil, or innocent by virtue of crushing stupidity?

Christian Doyle
I really shouldn't say... But he's absolutely psychotic either way.

GMK
Fair enough. Changing the topic back to RPGs really quick; have you got a favorite system? 4e, Pathfinder, or any of the lesser-known?

Christian Doyle
I truly do not have a preference. I've been playing a lot of Pathfinder lately, but I'm always down to play any system. I've been in the mood for a good Superhero game...

GMK
Got a favorite story?

Christian Doyle
Lots of them. I read a lot.

GMK
Sorry, I actually meant a gaming story. Some awesome crowning moment of a campaign in which you took part.

Christian Doyle
So many... defeating Undermountain without dying. Fighting Orcus on his home plane. Finishing the "Harlequin Module" for Shadowrun and escaping the Tomb of Horrors intact to name just a few.

GMK
Tomb of Horrors! Oh man, that place was awesome...! For me, I mean. I made my players run through it. The Argent Pride had a relatively low mortality rate, how did the rest of your party fare? (And what edition?)

Christian Doyle
3.5. we lost two of 5

GMK
Not bad. How'd they go?

Christian Doyle
Both killed by the Dookie Monster.

GMK
Ooooooh. Yep, I know which one you mean.

Christian Doyle
That thing was ridiculous.
Nearly killed us all.

GMK
I'd better be careful or I'm gonna get into spoilers here.
Dead Gentleman has been working with Paizo in a way that an outsider may assume to be similar to the way Dorkness worked with W.O.T.C. Is there a similar Pathfinder/JourneyQuest tie in there? I've been looking for a spell to blast somebody with milk, and haven't had any luck...

Christian Doyle
That would be something to ask Ben Dobyns or Matt Vancil about. I just act.
But from what I understand, Conjure Milk is just a create water spell that Perf has managed to weaponize.

GMK
And pasteurize. I figure it's about time I let you off the hook (for the interview anyway. I'm probably gonna chew your ear off about ToH off the record). Thanks for being so generous and offering us these insights. Anything you'd like to say to wrap up?

Christian Doyle
Yes.
We have the best fans in the world. Thanks for letting us tell you stories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go watch him and the others for free on Youtube in both Dorkness Rising and JourneyQuest, and if (lets be honest; when) you love what you see, remember to support their efforts either by donating, buying the DVDs, or even just spreading the word around to people you know who would be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment